A great opportunity to stockpile games you don't have time to play, at great prices.
The problem is, I have sooo many games already that I HAVEN'T EVEN PLAYED!
About a year ago, a girl visited me and saw all the games I had. Her perception of me went from really awesome and good looking guy to: lazy piece o' crap.
She saw my Master Chief helmet for example...
I completely understand a person coming to the conclusions:
- I "like" Halo
- I spent a lot of money on this
- I am obsessed with playing video games
- I wear this around the house for kicks (it's not a real helmet folks!)
I pre-ordered, and then didn't play Halo 2 for almost a year. Halo 2 happened to come out the year I went to college, I didn't have time to play, didn't even bring my Xbox to college with me.
I bought Halo 3 just after launch, and again didn't play. I had the sense not to pre-order this time, but it was just soo hyped. I HAD to buy the new Halo game. They made freaking Halo Mountain Dew Gamer Fuel! I bought Halo 3, tried it out briefly, but then immediately (right at launch) gave it to a friend to borrow indefinitely.
A few months later, I saw the game being sold WITH the cool helmet (prev $120) for only $50 at Wal-Mart? Less than the retail cost of the game alone. So I bought it for kicks, early Christmas present for myself, and my friend bought my other copy from me. He had it so long, we agreed he effectively owned it at this point. When did I finally get around to beating Halo 3? Only last year! So THREE YEARS after purchase.
I understand the misunderstanding.
Who in their right mind has a Master Chief helmet, but doesn't care for Halo?
And yet get this:
This girl recognized my Guybrush Threepwood voodoo doll!
You wouldn't, unless you're a gamer yourself...
The girl's visit culminated in a funny event:
She saw Mario Kart Wii, and after criticizing me for owning too many games, challenged me to play? I had to explain I had NEVER PLAYED it!
Of course I was familiar with Mario Kart... I'd be OK with her winning too, that might be "cute" right? But I don't really care for competitive games, I like co-op a hell of a lot more, and that's very apparent in my design work. But imagine the look on her face? How could I have not played a game... that I own and she's looking at right there? Does not compute. Mario Kart of all things! At the time, I had seriously never played the Wii version, even though I had owned it for over a year.
Console games aside...
Here are all the games I own on Steam alone, but have never touched:
- Bionic Commando: Rearmed
- Broken Sword II
- Broken Sword III
- Command and Conquer 3 (and Kane's Wrath)
- Command and Conquer 4
- Defense Grid
- Deus Ex: Invisible War
- Doom II
- Gothic 2
- Gothic 3
- Hitman: Codename 47
- Hitman 2
- Hitman: Blood Money
- Hydrophobia: Prophecy
- Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
- Just Cause 2
- Mafia II
- Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus
- Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee
- Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
- Overlord (and Raising Hell)
- Overlord II
- Painkiller Overdose
- Painkiller Resurrection
- Puzzle Agent 2 (note this JUST came out, I bought it, didn't play it yet)
- Quake (and Mission Packs)
- Quake II Expansions
- Red Alert 3 (and Uprising)
- S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat
- Serious Sam: The Second Encounter
- Sid Meier's Pirates
- Star Wars Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith
- Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
- Strongbad's Cool Game for Attractive People (2 - 5)
- Team Fortress Classic
- Thief: Deadly Shadows
- Time Gentlemen, Please!
- X-COM (all of 'em)
- Bionic Commando
- Deus Ex
- Doom 3 (and Resurrection of Evil)
- Dragon Age
- Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
- Far Cry 2
- Freedom Force (and Third Reich)
- HeXen II
- Mini Ninjas
- Penumbra: Overture
- Quake III Arena (and Team Arena)
- Red Faction: Guerrilla
In conclusion, I should stop buying so many games...
But I guess on the plus side ladies, you can't say I'm obsessed with playing games...
Just buying them lol. Is that worse?